Tuesday, March 30, 2010

my recent convert Christian Baiden and his coke truck. 700 crates of minerals with 24 minerals per crate. Lots of partying.

The end of a long week and the beginning of another one. Had leadership training this week which helped me realize a big fault of mine. We were talking about we could help our wards more. I kind of have had a well you do what I need and be thankful I'm around I guess. We'll just have to see how it goes. Definitely will be working on that.


one of our recent baptisms. It wasn't very well taken but you get the idea

In Accra they have definitely been having some power issues. Started Tuesday evening after we had closed. It was Elder Saidu's 5 month mark of being on his mission and basically all he got was a coke and no lights nearly all night. Ended up that we all stayed up in our apartment talking because none of us could fall asleep since our apartment turns into an oven without fans. Got pretty interesting but when we finally settled for going to bed no one actually fell asleep till the lights came back on around 2 am. Made it pretty hard to wake up the next morning. Luckily we did because it was a pretty dang good day. Had one of the funniest quotes for the week. We were teaching a lesson with a member and were waiting for the lady at her house. Talked about how the Nigerian temple has been shut down. The member than just said "I wish Thomas would visit." I had to ask who is Thomas. He meant President Monson, I totally missed it. He just wants him to come so that he can see and hear a prophet. I told him not to feel bad because I hadn't either. He got really surprised. I just was like well America is big.


This is how you make banku. You stir it like pudding till it thickens and then you have to "drive" it. That translates into you have to basically row through it to mix it together right.


Thursday was a long hard day. The lights were shut off again in my entire proselyting area. Didn't really make people too interested when they were either trying to sleep through not having power or going out to get away from it. I thought it was funny because it made me think of being prepared. People try to do something that isn't useful at that time or they run away. It made sense in my head at least. Found some awesome sausage place that same night when doing a split with Elder Schmidt. We ate some and it was great. Sat down on a curb and actually had one of my investigators pass by and talked to him for just a bit. Friday we have a member who every week feeds us dinner around 5. Almost always it is fufu. This time was made special by the rain. We were all sitting there and just said to each other that it was going to rain. About 3 mins later it rained. Right after the cool breeze which ALWAYS blows right before it will start raining here.
This is Oswald. He is my buddy. His sister and brother sometimes will go with us
to teach and his mom likes to cook for us. His birthday is tomorrow.

Saw a guy wearing a stripling warriors shirt. Went up and talked to him maybe by chance he was a member. Nope just some guy who bought a shirt. Crazy to think I get to serve in the places where all the shirts get sent. Never told you but one time I saw an Arizona Cardinals super bowl champs from the last super bowl. Sunday was sweet. It just seemed like people kept coming in during church. It was pretty sad though since some of the people we were sure of didn't come but new ones. What I really enjoyed was that we had two families, one is a part member. Then most everyone else either has a friend or relative in the church. Just makes keeping their interest in the church a little easier for us.

So take kwelwe (fried and spiced plantain) add fanice (ice cream) a little cinnamon
sugar and yes it is magic. Tastes great. I didn't eat it all by myself. I shared with
the apartment. I'm not that fat.

Yesterday we went and ate yam and stew and then fufu and after that kokonte. I've decided that kokonte is quite possibly the nastiest thing I have eaten . . . EVER. It is like fufu's redheaded step cousin that got hit with the ugly stick too much and then locked in the basement. Instead of just boiling the cassava and plantain they dry it first and let it rot a bit. Then grind it into a powder and prepare it into balls. Don't worry you can get the idea from the pictures. ;D


This is me and Sis. Pat. She loves missionaries. Her and her mother make fufu nearly every Sunday. They are members.


I do love the conference talks though. They are simply amazing. I just always think about how we can know the fullness of the everlasting gospel in the Bible but without the Book of Mormon so many simple truths would be too complex and complicated.


Here I am pounding some fufu. Yes I am hot and sweaty..


Love Elder G

No comments: