Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Happy week everybody! This one went by pretty well. We are working with some pretty interesting people. One of them has been contemplating suicide we found out this week. Afterward I told Elder Saidu we can't screw this one up, literally is life or death! Um that was a little morbid but Ghana is different. We had to talk one investigator into meeting with President Smith so that she could be interviewed for abortion. After about a hour of just kind of explaining it all to her we kind of got it across. At least enough that she was willing to come and meet him. Wednesday was a pretty sweet day.

Elder Holland came with his traveling companion Elder Steven E. Snow of the Presidency of the Seventy. It was pretty amazing to hear both of them speak. It was great to listen to them. Elder Snow talked a lot about how we need to look past the day to day routine of a mission. He tied that into a quote from Pres. Hinckley about how he said the greatest miracle he ever saw was that of a conversion. Elder Holland had looked like he was about to fall asleep and what not before he got up to speak but wow was he energetic as he spoke to us. He focused on how Preach My Gospel was brought about to convert the missionary so he can convert others and stay faithful. He also talked about how we better not tarnish the "missionary image" for his grandchildren when we come home. He also talked about how if our church had any kind of emblem that it is either 1. The Salt Lake Temple or 2. Two missionaries wearing black tags. It was just really really good. A lot of cool stuff basically.

Uh yeah funny note after that was the next day was the first time I've ever been chased by a dog since being here. I was glad I was on a bike and could just get on out of there. Completely ignored my companion so who knows what was going through it's head. Maybe it wanted the other other other white meat? We baptized a guy named Steven Yeboah about two weeks ago which opened the door to teach his family. WOW that is awesome. Basically his wife just asked if she can re-baptize. It was pretty awesome, just need to make sure she really understands it all. Their family is pretty sweet. There is the father, mother, and three children. Saturday we had a baptism. It was amazing. We had told everyone 9 and by 8:30 when we showed up all 7 candidates were there! We actually had to just wait on the bishopric. It is just nice when you don't have to stress about well are they really coming? It was sweet though.

I found out that there is some village in Ghana called Azim that it rains EVERYDAY. Who knows though I won't ever find out since it isn't in my mission. Sunday we had Ward Conference. It made me a little angry since they wouldn't confirm the people we had baptized. It just was frustrating because there isn't any reason stated in the handbook of instruction it was just that they didn't want to. Oh well there is always next week. Sunday we had someone in the ward make us dinner. As I was eating I just came to the conclusion that I'm tired of rice and fish. Oh well they made it for us and it was edible. That is about most of our excitement from this past week. Well good luck!

That earthquake sounds pretty large. I haven't heard too much about Haiti either so I guess I'm just out of all kinds of loops for sure. It is true though about how the church is literally prepared for ANYTHING. National disaster, political instability, even Egyptian plauges recarnate there is a plan that the church has about how to go about it. I feel pretty protected as I go out and about it. I think I will miss it after I'm released.
Love Elder Travis

No comments: