Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hey the morning after really does let you down. I really enjoyed making the phone call to the house yesterday. It is just a nice change to actually hear your voices then just reading some words. As I hung up I couldn't believe it was my last call home. Time has flown by. So there isn't really too much new information. My new area is crazy awesome. We are super busy since we are starting out fresh but we are enjoying ourselves. We are really trying to get the members to get behind us and catch the vision of turning these branches into wards and eventually having their own stake out here. We'll see how that progresses. Everything takes time right? A few things I experienced this week I want to share. I'm in a more traditionalist area where they follow the old ways. In turn I had my first person I've taught who he himself was practicing polygamy. Probably still would of too except one wife died and the other left him.

It hit me really hard how blessed our family has been that Mom and Dad have always been so in love with each other. Then also the relationships that everyone in our family has with their spouses is just kind of touched me I guess. I don't really know how to explain it. Just think about it and I'm sure you'll get the idea. You're all smart. Another thing is of course of Grandma and her passing. Saturday we went to visit a referral given to us to a member and checked back with the members afterward who had prepared some food for us. As we were waiting for the food and eating they put on the funeral of Pres. Hinckley. We only were able to watch a part of it and actually only the first speaker his daughter Virginia Pearce. She said something that I guess helped me. After Sis. Hinckley died Pres. Hinckley was grief stricken and I'm sure miserable. She then gave a quote or maybe just a description of his attitude of, "Get up, put your shoes on, and go to work." He did and continued on during some of the church's greatest growth. Again he did the same thing when he was diagnoised with cancer. It all relates to when I came on my mission it was in the back of my mind I might not see Grandma again. When it actually happened it hurt and even from Thursday when I found out till watching the funeral I was definitely less then enthusiastic and motivated towards my responsibilties. It just kind of slapped me in the face and made me realize that I needed to get up, put my shoes on, and go to work. Cause if not Grandma and Grandad were going to beat my butt the next time they see me. I know I'm just rambling now but I spoke my mind so that is that. I do love the nice touch of throwing empty pepsi cans into the grave. Lovely touch. I hope everyone has a great week! I love you all!
Elder Gibson

No comments: