Monday, January 12, 2009

Update From Travis


A sweet bowl of fufu with some crabs. You eat the crabs whole and they
aren't that tasty. the other thing in the background is intestine
and it isn't super tasty, but whatchagonnado? Plus they serve it
with warm fanta!



I eat with my hands A LOT!!! They laugh since I'm so fair and their food is
so spicy that I get red in the face because I'm not use to it still.




This week has been pretty good besides I have been sick. And no it isn't anything serious. They finally decided who the president would be and everyone went crazy! It is like a giant street party. Everyone was out wearing NDC ( the party that won ) shirts and stuff. Dancing. Stacks of speakers blaring music. Needless to say for like two days we didn't get too much done. Everything is going pretty good. Last night I went through my old planner and switched some names and numbers to my new one. Crazy to think my I have already gone through my first one. We have zone conference this week. I'm pretty excited to see what all of that will mean. It is crazy to think I've almost made it through my first transfer. After just one more I won't show up as a greenie, or as they say now MTC on the mission map. That is pretty strange to think about. I think it will be a lot longer before I start feeling like I'm not the new kid on the block. It was really good this week with this one guy. We contacted his house and he ended up teaching us the first lesson. He received a pamphlet and the missionaries never followed up but he already has a testimony started and we'll see where that all goes. I had my first experience of a girl, probably 3 or 4, start screaming when I walked into a housing compound. Since I am so white and fair she got scared and pretty much had an emotional break down. I felt so bad for her but it isn't like I can do that much, though I do need to cut my hair. It must be the humidity here but my hair is growing even faster then it seemed to back home. I have started to cook oatmeal for meals and snacks to get a break from rice and yam. We'll see what happens since lately I have been gaining some weight. Everyone talks about the "rice belly" it is like a beer belly but with rice. Supposedly everyone gets it but I guess I'm going to have to break the mold because yeah I just refuse not to come home with a gut. Even though lately for p-days we just lay around like lazys since my companion isn't that active. Today I pretty much told him I wanted to go to the market to buy these african ties, jatala, and see the whole atmosphere and culture. I'm pretty excited

I hope the Cardnials win. I think they have the heart from all of it sounds like the time to be an Arizona fan!





Opening my first package!!!!! it was even on Christmas! LUCKY!

This is the lady we baptized. The other white elder is elder iverson from hurricane, ut and he is so funny. It is great to hang out with him when I get the chance. He is in our district so I see him once or twice or a week usually.

No comments: