Sunday, March 29, 2009

Goings On in Ghana

Baptism!



This last week was a really good week. Last Monday I went to
a super activity for one of the zones. We played soccer and I
pretty much balled it up and made a couple of the african elders
angry at me for some reason. Went to a family named the
Hammonds for FHE. We had an Elder Ross with us. He really
wanted a mango so I ended up climbing the mango tree and
trying to shake him one down. I was fruitless in my attempt
though and was told to get out of the tree. Elder Ross documented
my descending climb.
Elder Ross, waiting for a Mango

Climbing the Mango Tree


Tuesday was our zone interviews. President Smith said I needed
to cut my hair and that was about it. I also ended up going on splits
with the zone leaders again and went back to the apartment in
Lartebiokoshie where the mosquitos attacked me way bad. This
time I was lucky and made it without any bites thankfully. Being
in a normal apartment is so much nicer then the mission home.
I can't wait until I get transferred away from mission home and
have a little bit more of a relaxed atmosphere. The temperature
was 40*C with about 85-90% humidity. Was pretty brutal so I
am lucky to be near the ocean and get the sea breeze. We taught
a lady named Charolette this week who kept watching tv that
was on in the room behind us. I would move my head to block
her view so we kept going back and forth trying to stop the other.
It was pretty funny and is sad to know that she is so unserious.

Results of the Hair Cut


On Thursday one of the couples went home and they dashed us
some food. So Thursday night I had popcorn from a bag! So good.
Plus they gave us REAL jam. With actual fruit and taste in it.
Super super good. Saturday we had a baptism which is always
a good way to start out the day. I ran into a tourist on Sunday
who is from the states and her family has a cabin somewhere
around blue ridge. It was kind of nice to just talk to someone who
knew where I was actually from. On sunday we also met these
two guys on the beach as we were taking pictures of the ocean and
they were carrying a dog . . . to chop ( local lingo for eat ). Took
some pictures and turned down the invitation to go eat with them.

Chop Dog

I helped wash these clothes in a bucket



There are lots of cars. Mostly the middle class and wealthy. Mostly
the wealthy though. The roads vary. Some parts it is straight hard
packed dirt. Other parts are kind of like a cobblestone areas where
it is mostly just throwing whatever chunks of stuff they have.

Elder Gibson

No comments: