Sunday, February 22, 2009

Fun in Ghana

This week didn't really have too much more interesting stuff.
Last week was a lot more involved and everything with actually
adventure happening. The highlights for this week is that yes
the people of Ghana love valentines day, umm it rained for about
2 hrs one night, and I wrecked my bike again. Yeah working
on Saturday pretty much felt pointless since everyone we talked
to was either busy, too distracted to listen, or mostly if they
were female they wanted to know what our plans were. I guess
they wanted to hang out with the obruni or something. They
have all kinds of parties and everything. Along with a ton of
people getting married and having like bethrothal ceremony
or feasts? Yeah I don't really know but it was great. Strangely
enough more houses were decorated then what was at Christmas
time. I was told that my first Ghanaian Christmas was a little
lack luster because of the tense atmosphere caused by the elections.
So I guess I'll have to wait till next year to really see a Ghanaian
Christmas. I really enjoyed the rain. It helped dampen some of
the smells associated with the trash and gutters here. It still has
that rain smell but here it is a little bit different. I guess I can just
say it was Africa. Yeah luckily we were barely getting to an
appointment when it started so we didn't get caught out in it.
Plus it is a recent convert of Elder Adams so we got fed too. My
bike is a pretty sad story. I can now proudly say that I have left
my blood and sweat on Ghana for my mission. Plus I got a sweet
battle scar to carry on my shin for the rest of my life. Strangely
enough my bike survived intact. I'm working to fix that I think.
We were riding in the street when a little girl ran out between my
companion and me from behind a car and well I chose trying to
pull a James Bond move or something instead of running her over,
basically it all ended with my bike and me being a tangled mess on
the pavement. It all worked out for the best though. I have started
to understand when people in the street are insulting me, I'm
surprised at how uncreative most of them are. I hope everyone
had a great week! No malaria yet but I am on the "watch" for
another week and a half because of all my bites I guess. Sometimes
it takes a full three weeks to be bitten and then have any kind of
symptoms of the disease actually show. YAY!
I love you guys!
Good luck with everything!

No comments: