Monday, February 23, 2009

News from Ghana

Well this week was pretty low key. I spent three days just
walking around since my companion went through seven
bikes, his pedal broke and has to be welded back on, and
none of them were good enough so I told him why don't
we just walk. It was great, mostly since he didn't think I
would be able to handle it because he thinks I'm soft. I told
him forget it when he tried to quit half way on Wednesday.
I really enjoy walking more. I get to notice a lot more things
and it is easier to talk to people. For two and a half days this
week we had an Elder Kivaya from Kenya with us. His
companion is from Burley, ID and he has been really sick.
They couldn't diagnose him here so he got sent back home
and Kivaya was with us till the other two elders from his area
could come to Accra, he serves in a bush area called Oda which
is about 3 hrs away. He was a way hard worker, but he always
was complaining about how hot the sun was or something. It
got old REAL fast. Everything else was pretty routine.

My hairy beast of a leg and my sweet battle
wound from the last bike wreck.

I got to help with a baptism by the other elders in our district.
In total there was 5 baptized. In the next six week cycle we
should have at least 5 or 6 getting baptized which will be
pretty exciting. This could be my last week here at the mission
home though since transfers are on march 5th. Either I'm
leaving to somewhere new or staying here for another 3 months.
Since my companion leaves after this next transfer they have to
bring someone in this transfer to know the area or I would get to
show them everything. I am kind of hoping I stay since the office
couples, Elder and Sister Hale, invite the missionaries at the
mission home for Sunday dinner. It is American food and we get
to eat as much as we want because she cooks plenty. Plus we get
to watch the mission approved movies. Like yesterday we
watched The Incredible's as we were waiting. Sis. Hale loves
me because I always help her in the kitchen since it reminds
me of being back home and plus she cooks lots of food.


There is another elder at the mission home this week. He
is an Elder Pearson from Utah. He had Meningitis and has
to get a shot every morning in his IV tube that is still in his
hand. He is pretty funny and what not. He came in the group
before me, the one that was record breaking in the church
news.

Who says that money is green? yeah they don't know.


This morning I made an indomie burrito. Indomie is like top
ramen
. I make the noodles and then I drain them and mix
them with two eggs and fry the eggs like an omelet so that
the noodles are in the middle. I have to admit I was worried
it wouldn't taste very good but I love it. I wanted to add
peppers and stuff but our fridge has been on the blitz
the last few days so all my vegetables and fruits got ruined.
I had bought a white pineapple too which was a great loss.
It is probably my favorite fruit here.

This is the main stadium in Accra. It is where they play
their national team soccer games. The last mission
President let the missionaries go to games,
but the new one hasn't decided if he would.


Today as I was walking across the courtyard at the mission
home from my apartment to the office this military helicopter
that was flying very very low went overhead. It was cool to see
one of those since whenever you hear or see an airplane the older
missionaries have a joke that they ask, "how far away is that
airplane elder?" First time I ever answered I said I don't know
five maybe six miles. They always just say nope, it is only 3 or
6 or however many months they have left. Then they ask you
again. Yeah it gets a little annoying since they do it over and over
and over. It is all good though they usually stop when I tell them
I just have more time to be a better missionary then them.
Yeah I know it isn't the smartest thing to say but it quiets them
down. I hope everything went good for everyone this week! Love ya.

Just another sweet picture of the temple here.
I love to see the temple, I'm going there someday.

I hope everything is going great with you guys! I love you and
wish you the best and keep you in my prayers!

No comments: