Sunday, June 7, 2009

I'm all shiny and don't know why.


What can I say kids and I connect, maybe because
we are on the same maturity level.


This was on Grandma Lila's birthday.
Drank a coke for her.

MONDAY MONDAY MONDAY!!! Okay so it really isn't
that exciting but I do what I can. Last week when I went
to play sports at this place called Kaneshie I got a little sunburnt.
It worked out all good though because now even my legs are
at least not blinding white. Wednesday I had something interesting
happen. A lady's son received his mission call to go to the Ghana
Cape Coast Mission. She called us and wanted us to come talk to
the guy about his girlfriend. I guess his brother got in trouble with
a girl before he left and something. She wanted to make sure it
didn't happen again. It all felt a little awkward mostly because this
family doesn't go to our ward and we really didn't know what was
going on. The lady did feed us though. Even though it was like oily
collard greens with some other uh things with them it was food.
That same night we went to the Ansah family, father and son
baptized last week, to teach the wife. She accepted a baptismal
date and will be baptized this thursday(28th).


Two kids from this ward going on their missions in August
together. The taller one is Robert and he is going to Nigeria.
The shorter one is Matthew and he is going to the Ghana
Cape Coast Mission.

On Thursday we had a Mission Conference with the General
Authority being Jay E. Jensen. It was really good. He talked
about mastering the scriptures alot. It was interesting to listen
to him talk about the different study patterns of people. I
wanted to laugh when he started name dropping. Like Boyd
K. Packer, David A. Bednar, Thomas S. Monson. Guy is serious.
I guess go figure what else would apostles talk about while
traveling places then how they study? He also urged us to
start singing hymns when we go to teach people. That there
isn't anything that can invite the spirit faster. Overall it was
really good. That same night we had a baptism. We had one
man, Matthew Tay, being baptized. It was cool because his
daughter came and agreed to allow us to teach her. Usually
when we've gone to the house she wouldn't join us because she
has her church. She is 11. Starting them young I guess. At the
baptism as a musical number the 8 missionaries from our
apartment all sang I Am a Child of God. After the baptism
another one of the candidates was having a party and so we
went and ate. They kept bringing us plates of rice. That is how
they judge parties here, how good and how much is the food.
I can't believe that everyone graduated this week. It definitely
does not feel as if I've been out of High School a year already.
Then again I've also been on my mission for six months.
Guess time marches on.


My going away dinner from the
Ansah Family. Doesn't it look tasty?


My companion's reaction. (ghanaian)

My reaction to the food. (american) and yes I cut my
own hair, thank you very much.

This week is transfers. In our apartment we have 5 leaving. 2 are
going home and 3 are moving on. A little surprising is that I'll be
leaving. My new area is called Ashiaman. It is close to Tema where
the MTC is. My new companion is American which is rare to have.
A lot of whites go their whole mission without serving with
another. His name is Elder Riding and he is from Payson, Utah.
That is about all I know of the guy. I guess wait till Wednesday
and we'll see. On Sunday on our way to go and make sure someone
was coming to church we ran into a ward member, Sis. Anderson,
whose husband and two kids were sick. We went to their house
and gave them all blessings. It was awesome that we randomly
were just in the right place at the right time to help her out.

My apartment for the last month a half. I slept right
by the second window.

This is the Ansah Family. Going from Right to left. Me, Nana (son),
Cindy (mother), Two sisters, Alex (father), My companion

You have discovered the most frustrating cultural thing
about Ghanaians. They will straight up lie to your face of
whether they are interested or not. They think if they
say no that they'll have to explain themselves and there
will be a big ordeal so they lie and say yes and then sit
there and will nod their heads as you teach. It is so
annoying. One guy just straight up told me he wasn't
interested. I shook his hand and said thank you. It is
something that we have a problem with is finding those
who really are serious. I guess you guys are going to
start getting hotter then it is here pretty soon. I
love you guys and wish you the best for this next week!


I've still got a few skills left

A snapshot from out sweet celebration on the roof
with our bonfire we used to make s'mores!

Love Elder Gibson

No comments: