Friday, August 7, 2009

8-3-09 Update

Welcome to August! This week definitely has been an interesting one for sure. Last Monday we had a guy, Alex, we are teaching who we've been somehow skating on thin ice with ask us for a baptismal date. His dad has been a member for 2 years and because of some of the things his Dad said when he was baptized put him off. We treated him as more of a friend since he is just my age, his birthday is sept 15th and he'll turn 20. Kind of worked our way in and finally after we taught a lesson about the Word of Wisdom and Law of Chastity he flat out asked us when can I be baptized. Except the day after he got word that his school will start Aug. 12th or 13th in Cape Coast. Guess we'll baptize him and then have to only see 2 or 3 times a month. Tuesday I ate the biggest ball of Banku I think I ever could. It was about 5lbs each was mine and my companions guess. Definitely not nice, still haven't quite gotten into fermented corn dough stuff yet. We have basically an open street market in my area and on Wednesday we were teaching at a little shop there and a crazy half caste nigerian came and just touched my cheek and then licked his finger like it had frosting on it and said something in Igbo (their language) and then came back for another. Good thing security came out with their canes and basically beat him away, cause I think I might have if he'd tried again. Just made me really angry for some reason. Oops. The guys we were teaching said he has caused problems before though so I don't know the whole story. We went to a recent convert, Nathaniel Tetteh, and he wanted to sing hymns. It was sweet to have a little Christmas in July. Can't wait to have it for real though. We are teaching one guy who is a teacher at a school. As we were locking up our bikes a tro-tro pulls up with like 30 50kg bags of rice. The guy who had been sent to get them and the tro tro driver were kind of just doing it wrong so we helped. It felt so good just to be able to pick them up and kind of actually do something. It was funny because by the end it was me and the guy we had the appointment with cause everyone else was too tired. Saturday we were invited to say a prayer at an Adoring. I don't know if they are called that anywhere else in the world but it is a baby blessing. We said an opening prayer and then the preacher took over. WOW. I have never been more confused in my life for sure. He kept yelling and then had an assistant come in and start drumming. Still haven't quite figured out Charismatic churches at all. Sunday was really busy too. We had 3 baby blessings in our ward. I bet they were nice but most of them were in twi. After that we had 4 confirmations from our baptism on Saturday. Then the Sacrament and then only about 15mins of testimonies. All in all it was a sweet time.

No comments: