Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Well what a week. Monday we went and ate a pig and went to the MTC. It was weird talking to some of the missionaries there. I'm glad to say that when I met missionaries while I was there I didn't ask as silly of questions as they did. It was funny though. A lot of the days this week seemed to passed by really really slow but all of a sudden they were over. Kind of like magic. This week we did have zone conference which always throws everything out of whack though. We ran into an old contact, Sarah, that hadn't really shown too much action so we stopped after two meetings and she told us she had read everything and wanted us to come back. Definitely is someone looking for something specific, our first meeting she went straight to baptism. I guess we'll wait and see how that progresses but pretty encouraging especially since she invited her husband and small daughter to join us. Another sweet person from the week is named Vincent. He is late 20's early 30's who owns a gamestation (room full of play stations, x box, etc.) and lives with his mother. He is really interested in the gospel. He has been bouncing from church to church. We stopped by yesterday and gave him a Book of Mormon and then today we passed by and he has read the entire introduction and all the tesitmonies. Really good signs, I hope that they can turn into something. We had a really funny but somewhat strange experience. As we were doing some contacting a man accepted a pamphlet and gave us a time to come and then as we left started following us asking for money for transport to another city. We explained we don't give money and he then said okay and started to follow us around as we continued to contact. He'd show people around who we were talking to the pamphlet and say this church is inviting you. Luckily we were able to lose him in a housing complex that is like a maze. About 30-40mins later he found us as he came out of a house and follows us AGAIN! Ugh it was so annoying and he just kept asking for money here and there. Finally we lost him by ducking into a entryway and then staying away from that area for the rest of the day. Transfer calls happened this week. I am the only one in our apartment who is staying. I'll be the senior companion to a black American elder named white. He has been out about 6 months and is pretty funny. We'll see how it goes. The other two elders are coming in fresh and I think both of them are Nigerian. On Wednesday we'll find out. Good luck to everyone!

I love having the temple so close. We get to go quarterly so it is nice. Though it is disheartening because a lot of members who are worthy don't take advantage of it. It is something that we stress really heavy when we teach the after baptism lessons so that they can have a good foundation to grow on. Hope you have a great week!
love elder gibson

1 comment:

Alan said...

I just found this blog and love reading the stories about my former mission. I served in Ghana from 1995-1997. What a great experience..... Sounds like Ghana hasn't progressed all that much but I am SHOCKED to hear that Americans can be companions to Americans. Never was that allowed. I wish you the best of luck on your mission. I really miss Cape Coast. Have some fufu and banku for me...... Gye Nyame

Alan Keate