Sunday, August 30, 2009

This whole past week has felt like limbo land. Going through transfers is usually like that when their are changes though. Plus we spent a lot of time early on in the week visiting recent converts so Elder Riding could say goodbye. It was pretty fun. Though it meant going through plenty of Ghanaian cuisine. Now being the only white in our apartment I definitely notice a difference since it is the first time. When we are out walking around I kind of forget that I actually stand out so much. Crazy seeing how little kids and even adults are usually yelling obruni at us, but at the apartment it is very strange to think that I'm the only white person for miles and miles. We are teaching a lady from Seoul Korea who is kind of stranded here but she missed an appointment last week and then didn't come to church so we went and visited her and found out she had a baby. I was kind of shocked, she didn't look pregnant at all. It was really cool though when she handed me to her and before I could object turned around to get something from inside. Holding a five day old baby with Hailee coming so recent was awesome. I haven't held her but it was sweet to hold this kid and see how beautiful she was. It was nice. I am getting tired of people being ruled by politics here. It is ridiculous. They love bringing up in our lessons. To be honest I haven't quite figured out a way to use their view of it incorporated in our lessons but I'm thinking. On Thursday we hit our seven day(and counting) mark of not having running water but luckily it rained. I was tired of using a bucket or a pure water sachet, plastic bag filled with water, to shower so I went outside. Quite possibly one of the nicest showers I have had since leaving home. The water was almost kind of warmish. Kind of. There was an all african service project this last saturday. I didn't go. We already had appointment scheduled and I didn't really want to just bail on them. They cleaned the road up and painted some white lines warning people walking on the sidewalk they are getting close to the gutter. We had a pretty tense Sunday meeting. We needed two of the people we baptized to get confirmed but only one of them showed up. A high councilor came and talked. I didn't really understand his talk since it was in broken twi-english. One part that I do was that he talked about my companion, who had stood up and been introduced. He mentioned about how the american elders are usually white, pointing at me, like him. He then went on to say in twienglish that he was so happy to see an american missionary who looked like all of them. Kind of funny since I was the only white person there out of the 160ish in the ward. Elder White and I laughed at it even though no one else really found the humor in it. Elder White is from North Carolina. He is a pretty funny kid. His dream is to become an actor, which from the sounds of things he was well on his way before he came on his mission. His grandma was the first person in his family to join the church and still most of his family aren't members. He has been out about 6 months and was in the office as a supply elder before coming to Ashaiman. That is kind of the excitement from here for the week.

I think about how saying the right things seems so easy but then doing it is so much harder. Sometimes I think Satan puts that thought into our head and also that we say something but don't take into consideration all of the little things that will come along with it. I love you guys!
love elder gibson

No comments: