Monday, November 23, 2009

Happy Turkey Day to You

Wow a whole year of being in Ghana. Definitely has been an experience. This past week went pretty good for us so that was nice. Something that was pretty interesting was that last Monday as we were out proselyting this guy's car must of run out of gas and the cars had backed up behind him and were just honking him to death but no one offered to help him push his car to the petrol station. We crossed the road and without letting the guy really see us helped him push his car to the station. He was really surprised when I came from the passenger side and I was white. His name is Kelvin and he is a pastor. Bad luck for us. Though he was really impressed and called us about three times that night to let us know how much he appreciated it. Maybe we planted a good seed. Went to one of our investigators one year old son's birthday party. That rocked till the guests started drinking so we left. I learned how to make a turban this week too. Good thing they serve a purpose because it wasn't comfortable at ALL.

We had Leadership Training this week which is always a pretty sweet experience. They talked mostly about how we can be more efficient . We found dominoes in our apartment and basically have become addicted to playing. Well mostly Elder Richards and me. We met a lot of really interesting people this week. One of them is named Joseph Kyei. He went to his sister's house and took her pamphlet, ended up reading it and wants us to teach him. Met another lady named Dora Quartey. Left a pamphlet after teaching about how Jesus had a church and when we came back she had read it and actually had taken the time to write her questions down. She was unable to commit to coming to church this week but this next week she said she will already make plans to be there so we'll see what happens. Saturday of course was a nice day. Pretty low key. Just went out and worked. The night was different though. Of course I went out to eat and I had invited missionaries who lived right across the road from the restaurant. Ended up that they invited some other people and when it was all said and done there was 16 elders there. Would have loved to taken pictures but since some of them had completely left their zones they wouldn't let us. I was really really angry at them for being stupid. It was good. Picture enclosed about what I ate. Sunday we had Stake Conference. Man there were a ton of people there! The stake was made a full strength unit from a basic unit which is cool. Especially since in the last two years our stake has doubled and if the trend continues they will be able to split it before I come home even. Elder Golden and Elder Ahadje both of the Seventy were there. President Smith was there as well. It was a really good feeling when he was talking he had us stand up and said that he had reviewed over each of the missionaries in the room and with no exceptions he puts his full faith in us. True it might of been just to ease the member's mind but it is nice to think about. :D This morning we went to the biggest market in Accra and I think even Ghana. It is Mokola Mall/Cantomentals. Basically anything you want is out on the street. The rumors go that if you even want it you can buy ANYTHING there. Just have to ask the right people. I was thinking maybe a kidney if mine fails or something. It is basically really crowded and I just entertain myself by surprising people that I can greet them in their language. They fall for it every time. That is about all of the excitement from my side of the pond. Love you guys!

I had a fun time celebrating. It was kind of a normal day though. Since being on my mission I've had big and little experiences. The little ones I think are the more powerful since they are the more frequent. It has been the little things that have strengthened my testimony in the gospel far more then anything large. I love you guys and wish you the best during Thanksgiving!
love elder gibson

No comments: