Monday, November 30, 2009

And a Merry Christmas to ALL

Well this was a pretty discouraging week. Guess it was a good thing everyone wrote pretty upbeat letters about enjoying Thanksgiving. I did get to go on splits with Elder Pearson who is one of our Zone Leaders. It was nice to be able to have someone I didn't feel quite like I was having to lead by the hand. Too bad that same night about 1:30 the lights went out. Unfortunately we didn't get them back on till Thursday. Then we had our water run out which is never a fun experience. Going along with that we had some of our investigators basically drop like flies. A member made us cake though. She was going to make pineapple upside down cake but couldn't find cherries and didn't want to buy a pineapple so it was a cake in the shape of a fish. It was pretty fun though. We had to go and get gas this week in our cylinder and since it is so far we get a taxi. The taxi driver agreed on a certain amount and when we got back to our apartment he demanded double. He said he was going to just take the gas as collateral but I gave him the money picked up the gas and just walked in. I guess he tried to follow me but everyone who lives in our compound basically put him to shame for going back on his word.

We had interviews with President Smith this week. Kind of the highlight for sure. It was kind of that end of the week pick me up that I needed. Too bad Saturday basically beat it all down again. We had planned a baptism for 5 people. Yep, none of them showed up. Definitely was heartbreaking. Especially when we tried to call and visit and it seems like most of them have dodged us. Didn't really help that Saturday is the Islam version of Easter according to the Muslim lady we live by. I didn't quite understand why they celebrate Easter since that is Christian but I wasn't about to argue. The bad part is that even though it is a Muslim holy day everyone goes and parties. At least Christmas is close. Our zone is planning on a service project of going to a hospital. Don't know when that will be but it probably will be lots of fun. Thats is about all from me this week. I love you guys! Thanks for the sweet emails about Thanksgiving.

I have to also agree that Mom and Dad are way good teachers. Something I've always noticed is the time that they put into preparing. Both put in a lot of effort. I love you guys. Thanks for the email!
love Elder Gibson

No comments: